You don’t have to be a marketing expert to know that quality customer service plays a crucial role in business. Your customers are the ones who spread the word about you and help grow your customer base.
Many ecommerce websites have been adding live chat support to their help desk software in order to provide real time answers rather than having customers leave their websites. Real time chatting with a customer support expert not only builds customers‘ confidence during their shopping experience, but also helps to improve your conversion rates. According to a survey of American online consumers, 68% engage in live chat and 63% prefer getting back to a website with live chat for repeat purchase.
Web-based Live Chat software - LiveAgent helps add a human factor to your website and effectively assigns your customer service agents to provide real time answers.
Here are 5 reasons why live chat software is beneficial for a business today:
First of all advantages, that live chat has to offer is its convenience for customers. A Forrester research found the following:
44 % of online consumers say that having questions answered by a live agent while in the middle of an online purchase is one of the most important features a website can offer.
There are two types of customers who need help and use live chat to get it. The first are potential buyers, and these are the most common situations in which potential online customers use live chat:
- Want to know more about product specifications
- Having trouble finding specific item on a given website
- Want to compare products
These scenarios enormously influence purchase decisions. In fact, more than 38% of online customers took their purchase decision due to live chat session. Remember, that chat agents play a huge role and if they are properly trained, they can easily generate more sales.
The second group of live chat users are your current customers. The most common reasons why they use live chat are:
- Want to know the status of their order
- Want to ask about „Return policies“
- Want to report bugs or suggest improvements in your service
Another nice perk of livechat is that you can get nearly instant feedback or notifications when there’s a wide-scale customer-facing problem. For instance, if you run a SaaS business, and anything goes wrong, live chat gives you an immediate view of the issue from your customers‘ perspective.
1. Real Time Convenience to Customers
2. Live Chat Saves Money
Live Chat is cost efficient because of these 3 main reasons:
- It increases efficiency by allowing live chat agents handle multiple chats simultaneously, thus you don’t need to hire more agents. Intelligent live chat software such as LiveAgent allows multiple options for chat distribution and utilization.
- It increases the average order value, since customers get realtime advice and answers to any questions they might have. It saves „product return“ expenses as a live chat representative can help you pick the right product or service, which suits the customer best, thus he or she will be satisfied with it and won’t need to return it back.
- It reduces overall helpdesk center costs by lowering the waiting queue time when compared to a call center.
The implementation of livechat service is a few minutes of work. LiveAgent Live Chat has a bunch of integrations ready for the most widely used ecommerce and content management systems, thus you don’t even need any HTML skills to implement live chat on your website. Additionaly, LiveAgent provides full integration service to its customers, free of cost.
3. Get Competitive Advantage
It’s never been more important to stand out among your competitors as nowadays. The amount of business rivals is tremendous and is increasing every day. Not only small and medium-sized businesses are recognizing the importance of providing real time customer service, but also corporates like Apple, SKY, Virgin Airlines, and many more are using live chat to be one step ahead of competition.
4. Increase Conversions and Sales
Having a real person walk you through a purchase adds confidence and customers tend to spend more than the ones who don’t use live chat. A positive experience leads to a higher average order value, thus your sales are directly affected by live chat.
Multiple studies have proven that livechat can bring a 20%+ increase in conversion rates.
After implementing Live Chat on our website, Post Affiliate Pro’s conversion rate’s increased by 23%– Viktor Zeman, CEO of QualityUnit
Other success story of a company which implemented LiveChat feature is Wells Fargo. They were pioneers in real time customer support and started their first live chat in 2002. This attempt was unsuccessful, however they relaunched their online chat support in 2008 and experienced a double-digit increase in conversions.
The key to success in conversion increase(with livechat) is having your representatives properly trained. Provide them with insightful knowledge about your products, so they can recommend additional purchases that may be the perfect fit for that particular customer. Equip them with discount coupons, which they can offer to customers who are still hesitating before purchase.
5. Build long-term relationships
Satisfied, long-term customers are statistically less likely to switch. As an added bonus, they tend to be less price-sensitive. Experts say that customers who feel taken care of are less concerned about what they are paying.
63% of customers who‘ve used live chat tend to come back rather than the ones who don’t. Studies show that regular customers tend to buy more often and they are less expensive to maintain because of their familiarity with your business and the processes behind it.
When customers feel their voice is heard and they chat with a person behind the company, it’s more likely that they’ll have a stronger connection to your business and share their positive experience.
Here are some useful tips when starting to use live chat:
- Make sure you have at least one operator that will be available for the majority of the working day. (If your live chat is more offline than online, it might have a negative influence.)
- Train your team. Make sure that your chat agents have enough knowledge to answer customers‘ queries. Equip them with sales skills – it will boost your conversion rates and increase sells.
- Play the human card – the whole point of having live chat is bringing human help to customer’s shopping experience. Providing robotic responses can kill the effectiveness of live chat.
- Learn from your customers – analyze and track the most common issues which customers face
- Track the performance of your agents – LiveAgent easily analyzes performance of your customer service representatives. Advanced features allow you to directly track whether a purchase was made after or while chatting with a rep., how many chats did the rep answer during work hours and many more.
- Engage customers to start chatting with you via chat invitations.
To test LiveAgent’s livechat feature, click on the button in the bottom right corner and start chatting. Tell us what you like and where you see improvement possibilietes – we love getting feedback from you. Do you think you are ready to implement a chat button on your own website? Signup for a LiveAgent Trail – it’s free and no credit card is required !